Barung Landcareis working towards towards the creationion of its Education Resource Centre on the Maleny Community Precinct.
Our vision for the new interactive Centre is that it become:
- A home for Barung, its members and our community
- A model of landcare, regeneration and sustainability on the Blackall Range
- A catalyst for the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge
- A destination for visitors and students
- An interactive education resource for engagement, exploration and adventure
Going forwardOur plans for the Centre are exciting and ambitious. We believe they are realistic and achievable. In order to bring them to fruition we will need to bring together quite substantial resources in the coming years, not only to build the Centre but to maintain it and to grow it to its full potential.
Developing this project will need clear, solid leadership and management to bring the various parts together. Equally it will require considerable inputs from membership.
The funds required to build and develop the site – including substantial revegetation – will be quite significant. We believe that we are in a position to the raise these funds through partnerships, grants and organizational funding activities.
Sustainability of the Centre offers one of the main challenges. We have to develop a viable long-term business model to ensure the longevity of the Centre.
The human, social, financial, technological and environmental capital exists in the community and in the region. It is up to us all to harness these going forward.
Barung has been operating successfully for over 25 years. The Centre on the Precinct will be the heart of its activities for the next 25 years.
What will there be at the Centre?We envisage the Centre becoming a multi-purpose space that would contain the following:
As a significant community resource, it is our goal that every Barung member be able to find enjoyment and fulfillment in the creation and the ongoing maintenance and growth of the Centre – from planting and weeding through to demonstrating, serving coffees, presenting lectures and taking guiding walks.
Our GoalsThe Centre will be
- a living example of the beliefs and principles of the organisation; a working model of current best practices in landcare management, of environmental sensitivity, of sustainability, of an engaged community, and of forward-thinking environmental sciences and technologies.
- have a clear education focus aimed at meeting the needs of Range communities, school and tertiary curricula and students’ interests, researchers, local and international Landcare experts and the casual visitor.
- be economically self-sustaining and contribute to making Barung Landcare economically sustainable.
- develop partnerships with organisations, communities, interest groups, government and individuals to further common objectives - cultural, social and environmental as well as economic..
- be an exciting destination in South East Queensland for everyone who has an interest in the area’s significant Indigenous past, ecological history, landcare and sustainable future.
Donations to the
Barung Environmental Gift Fund
are tax deductable
If you would like to contribute financially to this exciting development:
¨ post your cheque to:
Barung Landcare Association
PO Box 1074
Maleny Qld 4552
¨ pay by cash or card at the Barung office, 38A Coral Street , Maleny; or
-call 07 5494 3151 during office hours for bank account details to make a direct deposit