Barung is providing support to landowners who wish to create wonderful gardens for our local wildlife.
The ‘Gardens for Wildlife’ program encourages and recognises wildlife-friendly gardens and environmentally-friendly practices in urban as well as rural-residential gardens.
Your garden for wildlife can contribute to bringing nature home by welcoming wildlife to share your garden and by providing a healthy, weed free environment for them to do so.
Providing more native plants and other habitat in the garden is not only valuable in itself, it can also link to habitat nearby, providing safe corridors or ‘stepping stones‘ along which animals can move from place to place.
By creating or providing a garden that is wildlife-friendly and environmentally-friendly you will:
- Help to conserve local plants and animals
- Help provide important refuge for native wildlife through times of drought or extreme events
- Have time to enjoy your garden more by reducing maintenance time and costs
- Reduce excess water through wise water use, such as mulching and use of local native plant species which are adapted to local conditions
- Benefit from natural pest control by having a diversity of native birds and insects in your garden (no need for chemicals)
- Benefit from increased pollination and fruit / flower set leading to better production
- Have a lower impact on surrounding environments by ensuring what you do on your land does not have an adverse impact beyond your backyard
- By becoming a ‘Gardens for Wildlife’ member and displaying your sign, you clearly demonstrate your support and commitment to protecting wildlife species and habitat – this is inspiring and encouraging for the broader community to see.
Gardens for Wildlife Membership
The Gardens for Wildlife program caters particularly to people who have less than 1ha of native vegetation and so don’t qualify for Land for Wildlife assistance, but also invites anyone who is interested in creating a native wildlife-friendly garden whether it be in their backyard or on an urban balcony! Every property matters.
As part of your annual Barung Landcare membership, you have the option of joining Gardens for Wildlife if you would like to participate in making your property (no matter how small or large) wildlife-friendly.
If you would like to become a member of Barung Landcare’s ‘Gardens for Wildlife’, join online here
There is a one off joining fee of $30 ($25 for Barung Landcare members) to cover costs of your member benefits. Payment can be made via credit card or Paypal.
- An attractive gate sign (for first time members)
- A welcome pack including a set of informative notes and useful materials (for first time members)
- 10 free native plants from the Barung Native Plant Nursery suited to your native garden (for first time members, then 2 free plants per year as part of annual membership)
- Access to a range of free or discounted workshops and events
- Ongoing access to online resources and fact sheets
- Access to a free online community of fellow Gardens for Wildlife members to seek inspiration, learn from, and share your journey with
- A seasonal Gardens for Wildlife newsletter